National Service Scheme
About National Service Scheme (NSS):Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year, 1969. The main aim of this scheme is to develop students' personalities through social/community service. NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities, and at +2 level working for a campus-community linkage. The cardinal principle of the NSS program is that it is organized by the students themselves, and both students and teachers through their combined participation in community service, get a sense of involvement in the tasks of nation-building. Most of these camps are conducted in rural places or sub-urban areas. Their motto was simple Not me, but You.
Objectives behind the NSS:
- To enable the students to understand the community in which they work.
- To understand themselves in relation to their community.
- To identify the needs and problems in the community in the solution of which they can be involved.
- To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- To apply education- find practical solutions to individual & community problems.
- To develop competence required for group living and sharing responsibilities.
- To acquire leadership qualities and a democratic attitude.
- To develop the capacity to meet emergencies and national disasters
- To practice national integration.
Brief Introduction about NSS Unit, MITS:NSS Unit, MITS was formed in 2011-12 Academic year. Dr. Manish Kumar Sagar, Professor, from Mechanical Engineering Department is the Incharge of the unit, working as the NSS Programme Officer. NSS unit, MITS, Gwalior, conducted various events like Helmet Awareness Programme, Shramadaan Programs, Plantation Programs, Orientation Programme, Various Medical Camps, Literacy cum Awareness Programme, One-day camps, Special Camps, Anti Tobacco Championing, Save Female child Awareness Programme & various Awareness Programme, etc.
Dr. Manish Kumar Sagar
Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department &
Program Officer, NSS